Monday, June 13, 2011

Greatest Hits: Skincare

Today I thought I'd showcase some of my favorite skincare products. I've used all of these for 6 months at least. Only the absolute best make it in the Greatest Hits collection! 

About my skin: I have oily, somewhat acne-prone skin. I get hormonal breakouts typically around my jawline, but in the last year or so, I've had breakouts on my cheeks. In the process of trying to heal my skin, I wound up using more and more products, thus exacerbating the problem. Anyway, I have come to find less is more. Just in the last month, I have cut down on products and am back to basics. I have also (mostly) stopped picking/scrubbing my skin.

I am sure most of you know this..but obviously, not everything that works for me will work for you. I think it is best to take skincare reviews with a grain of salt. Now, on to the all-stars:

 
Dickinson's Witch Hazel Toner (been using for 2+ years)
Some of the greatest things are also the simplest, and this toner is evidence of that. The ingredients are 14% alcohol and witch hazel..and that's it! Witch hazel is known for its skin healing properties and is a natural acne fighter. It helps to calm irritated skin and takes the redness out. I love this toner because it doesn't have an astringent feel, yet it cleans amazingly well. It works wonderfully to make my skin feel 100% clean but not parched.  Another plus is this toner comes in a large 16 oz. bottle..and is under $5 at Walgreens (I usually get it on sale for $3). I cannot recommend it enough! I have gone through many bottles. There is a definite herbal (witch hazel) scent to this toner...I hated it at first, but have grown quite accustomed now.

CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion PM (been using 6+ months)
This is a fabulous moisturizer. It is very emollient, but not creamy or greasy. My skin just soaks it right up. I think it is best to use it at night, but I have oily skin and I've used it during the day with no problems. I have never broken out from using this. I believe it has truly calmed and improved my skin. It is so mild that I use it around my eye area as well. This lotion would suit most skintypes, imo. There is absolutely no scent.

Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes (been using for 5+ years)
These are far and away my favorite makeup wipes. I love how they get rid of makeup but also leave my skin feeling comfortable and moisturized. I do not get a squeaky clean, astringent feeling from these..it is as if I washed my face and applied a very light moisturizer. I typically use these in the morning to refresh my skin and prep it for makeup (and often don't even need a moisturizer afterwards). These don't irritate my eyes at all, and have a light, pleasing scent.

Make Up For Ever Sens'Eyes Waterproof Sensitive Eye Cleanser (been using for 1+ years)
This is the best eye makeup remover I've tried. It is a gel/lotion consistency which melts off my eye makeup effortlessly (and I wear waterproof mascara most days). It doesn't feel greasy at all. I can put makeup right back on after and not have to worry about oily residue. It leaves the delicate skin around my eyes feeling clean and comfortable. It is expensive but sooo worth it. Plus, I'm still on my first bottle (just purchased a backup) and probably have a good 2 months use left. There is no scent.

Shea Terra Organics Rose Hips Black Soap Deep Pore Facial Wash & Mask (been using for 6 months) 
I remember Sardun on youtube raved about this forever ago and I ended up finally buying it. I have not looked back. This face wash is absolutely amazing at exfoliating dead skin cells. It feels kind of trippy using it because there are no exfoliating beads/granules, but it really lifts all of the dead skin away, truly making my skin feel squeaky clean. I've never used anything like it. If I have a zit, it takes the redness and pain out of it, making it heal faster. It's not like I've never had a blemish since using this cleanser, but there has definitely been a reduction in the severity and longevity of my breakouts. I also like how this product is truly all natural. It has a very light, unoffensive scent. I imagine it would suit most skintypes.

So, there you have my Greatest Hits. I hope you enjoyed them. May I also give some parting words:

My skincare philosophy (although I'm no expert)
Minimize what you use, especially if you're prone to breakouts. 
The very thing which you think clears your skin might in fact be breaking you out long term. 
If you are having skin troubles, try to get back to basics...and then go from there.
Don't over-scrub your skin..try not to use washcloths because they may cause more irritation. 

Not the most groundbreaking advice, but anyway...

What are your skincare all-stars?

♥ ♥ ♥

2 comments:

  1. I've been loving this toner too.:D

    Thanks for sharing your skin care hits!:D

    ***** Marie *****
    allthingsmarie.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all your nice comments, Marie!

    ReplyDelete